Ads & Recent Photos
Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

How you say I love you in Kurdish?

Discuss about language(s) in English

Re: How you say I love you in Kurdish?

PostAuthor: azade_ » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:09 pm

Aww my mother calls me canê min all the time when she addresses me. I call her evina min back but I then I wonder if its a strictly lovers expression? :D :oops:
just because i don't care doesn't mean i don't understand

azade_
Shermin
Shermin

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0
Nationality: Kurd by heart

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostAuthor: Diri » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:01 pm

azade_ wrote:Aww my mother calls me canê min all the time when she addresses me. I call her evina min back but I then I wonder if its a strictly lovers expression? :D :oops:

Well, yes, it is... :oops:

"Evîna min" = "My love" - in a boy-loves-girl kind of way...

You should reply with/refere to your mother in-law as her children do... If they call her "Yadê", "Dayê", "Da" or something else - then you should do so too, because in Kurdish culture, a girl is always considered part of the husbands family - so you have the right to (and she would LIKE you to) call her "mom"... Because "mom" is a very respectful and loving term to use...

This must of course be seen in light of the fact that mothers enjoy a highly respectful and prestigious place in Kurdish society as not just "mothers" but "mothers of society" - "mothers of life" or even "mothers of future"... They are very much respected and this is mostly due to Islamic values mixed with Kurdish ones - which lead a strong respect for women (islamic) to a fusion with an already existing (Kurdish) status of women as life-givers and symbols of furtility...

There is the saying in Hadith: "The doors of Heaven lie at mother's feet"... I'm quite sure you've heard that before?

So it would be unsuitable for a daughter in-law to call her mother in-law "Evîna min" or anything as personal as that. That is of course the general rule. You are not part of that general rule, Azade dear... :) Of course they understand and appreciate your efforts in trying to adapt to them...

If you had been told what I am telling you right now infront of your mother in-law - you would (and I am 100% sure of this) have her say something like "no don't listen to that - you just call me whatever you want "canê min" [as she calls you] - it's okey"... :)

Which reveals the other part of Kurdish culture which I know you've experienced: down-to-earth and humble... :)
Diri
Shaswar
Shaswar

Nationality: Kurd

PostAuthor: Johny Bravo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:15 pm

We Zazas do use also "hez", "has" or "hes" for "love" (i love you in zazaki: ez to has kenan).

But i heard, that the "has / hez / hes" is from arabic, is this right? :(

Johny Bravo
Shermin
Shermin

Nationality: Hispanic

PostAuthor: azade_ » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Gelek spas Diri that's a great explanation. I just want to call her something special because she's always so wonderful towards me. Is dayê a strong word or is it mom in a traditional sense? Even though we don't have much language in common we understand eachother on a different level, and she's just the greatest person I know. My husband is jealous of it :lol: Got to start learning for real next time I go there.

azade_
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Diri » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:56 pm

azade_ wrote:Gelek spas Diri that's a great explanation. I just want to call her something special because she's always so wonderful towards me. Is dayê a strong word or is it mom in a traditional sense? Even though we don't have much language in common we understand eachother on a different level, and she's just the greatest person I know. My husband is jealous of it :lol: Got to start learning for real next time I go there.

Fermû xûşka delal :)

Yes, I understand you very well - and I'm like that myself: always try to show my appreciation for people with words... And often with deeds too...

It depends, you see ----> some places in Kurdistan, "Dayê" sounds "ordinary" - some other places "Da" or "Yadê" sound "ordinary"... Ask your hubby what he (or his siblings) call their mother... If they use "Dayê", then you probably should too...

In Colemêrg (and most other parts of Kurdistan) one uses pet-names for people - "nene", "dadê", "nana", "dede", "mamo", "xalo", "ana", "mamê", "keko", "kakê", "atê", "lolo", "lale" - and other typical sounds you could imagine a baby could make ( :lol: ) are all normal names used by children and youngsters to refere to their parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts...

These "pet names" usually tend to consist of soft vowels - a - e - ê and o - while thick (radical) consonants are used to balance off the sound...

If you want to have "special" name for your mother in-law - then you could call her "dayê" or "yadê" if they call her "da" and vice-versa... :) From experience, I know that Kurds in Colemêrg tend to make up their own names... Usually these names are "baby-forms" or simplified versions of real names...

My grandmother's name was "Fatma" - but all her children and her grandchildren (including me) called her "Ama"... :) So you should consult your hubby - or try to remember the expressions used by your in-laws to refere to her... :wink:
Diri
Shaswar
Shaswar

PostAuthor: azade_ » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Ahh yes someone actually calls her dadê all the time which is really cute. Thanks it's good advice I definitely have something to build on now :) Never want to call her anne again, I feel like it's an insult to speak turkish to her, sometimes.

azade_
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Diri » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:51 pm

azade_ wrote:Ahh yes someone actually calls her dadê all the time which is really cute. Thanks it's good advice I definitely have something to build on now :) Never want to call her anne again, I feel like it's an insult to speak turkish to her, sometimes.

Yes, I understand what you mean...

"Dayê", "Yadê" and "Da" er Kurdish words which are used in standard Kurdish - not as "pet names" but as real words meaning like "Mother", "Mom" and "Ma" in English... :)
Diri
Shaswar
Shaswar

PostAuthor: KurdiBoy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:37 am

min hazakam la to

or min tom xosh awey
KurdiBoy
Shermin