Navigator
Facebook
Search
Ads & Recent Photos
Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

Honour crime among Yezidis

A place for discussion and exchanging ideas about Kurdistan issues here, also a place for sharing article & views and analysis about Kurdistan .

PostAuthor: Piling » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:04 am

A Kurdish teenager was stoned to death By her family in city of MOSUL

Kurdishaspect.com By: Kameel Ahmady- London

Mina Rojdar- Mosul Iraq/Kurdistan

According to a Kurdish website Jebar.info up to 1000 men from Yezidi Kurdish community of MOSUL city killed a deserted (run away) teenager who’s only crime was running away and marry a Muslim man who she loved and later converted to his religious.

Since four months ago the girl had been given shelter by local Muslim Sheik. It was reported that in the last few days her family persuaded her to return back home convincing her that she had been forgiven by her parents and relatives for her mistake.

In a short mobile video clip which appears to have been taken by locals at seen of the murder, the girl is seen being ambushed on her way home by a group of up to 1000 men who were waiting for her to return and killed her in the most brutal way possible, by throwing large stones on her head. The following clips show that while she is alive and crying for help she is taunted and kicked in her stomach until someone finishes her off by throwing a large stone on her face.

From the clips it appears that the girl was first stripped naked to symbolise that she had dishonoured her family and her Yezidi religion. She is lying on the road naked while her smashed face is covered with blood and still breathing.

According to the website and footage from the clip a number of armed local police officers were present who in fact helped the crowd to kill the woman rather than preventing the crime. Sometime later the Iraqi army arrived at the scene and refused anyone entry including the press.

Killing women for reasons of honour, shame and religion dose happens in regions of Kurdistan and Iraq. The above incidents are not uncommon in some of the deeply religious and traditional communities. For long violence against women is commonly used as a political and religious weapon and as a means of social control.

Source Kurdish Aspect.

Islam is often targeted as the main source of social and sexual intolerance but hemdullah we can see that assholes and butchers are equally shared among all religions... Yezidis are even stricter about marriages, because they are not even allowed to marry between some certain casts...

Beyond the sad facts, there is someting interesting about the increasing number of reports of such acts. Do they increase really or do people denounce them more openly and with disapprobation ? Does it mean also that with the new social conditions of life, youth from all religion are more in contact each others, and then are more inclined to bind relations each others, without considerations of religious rules ?

BTW, mosuli policement seemed to have help a bit the slaughtering action. We could hope that in KRG's districts it would have been different. But probably, if Kudish policement would have protected the girl by shooting the crowd, there would have been a huge denounciation of "unsufferable attack against Yezidis"...
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 2
Arcade winning challenges: 3
Nationality: European

Sponsor

Sponsor

I wounder. If Yazidis are Kurds then why they would kill a y

PostAuthor: King Ashurbanipal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 pm

I wounder. If Yazidis are Kurds then why they would go this far to bring 1000 men just to kill a yazidi-kurd girl who married a kurd!? I don’t understand?
Dose that mean then the Yazidi kurds (if they are kurds?) don’t actually intermarried, so they stay separate as an ethnical minority within the larger Muslim-Kurdish body?

Don’t hope that if this happened in a KRG's police they would have stopped it, because I know of similar examples were they did the same. You see, tribal laws always over-wright government laws, it is a sad fact.
"Not a Kurd or Arab but Assyrian".
-I Respect any person who respect my national Assyrian (also known as Chaldeans and Syriacs) Identity. Long Live Ashuria.
King Ashurbanipal
Shermin
Shermin

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0

PostAuthor: Piling » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:22 pm

For a Yezidi it is absolutely forbidden to marry a non-Yezidi, whatever the religion. It is also forbidden to marry with certain "Yezidi cast" 's members. As a post Zoroastrian religion, Yezidism practice a strict cast system. And conversion are not allowed, like Yaresan, you born Yezidi or not. Unfortunately for them, it could lead to a progressive decline of their demography.

It depends of course on localization. In Southern Kuridstan they seem to be strict with tradition. I know a Western Kurd from Afrin who married a Yezidi daughter (with the agreement of both families) but they live in Europe. I don't know if in diapora, the rules are still so severe.
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: dyaoko » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:24 pm

it is so sad ... :(
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then YOU WIN !
dyaoko
Shaswar
Shaswar
Founder
Founder
Site Admin
Site Admin

Highscores: 1
Arcade winning challenges: 1
Nationality: Kurd

PostAuthor: zurderer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:17 am

For a Yezidi it is absolutely forbidden to marry a non-Yezidi, whatever the religion. It is also forbidden to marry with certain "Yezidi cast" 's members.

I remember a case, Yezidis tried to enforce Turkey for not letting marriage between a yezidi and a sunni..

Reason was funny, muslims are our brothers. So we cannot marry with them. :lol:

zurderer
Ashna
Ashna

PostAuthor: dyaoko » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:56 am

update :
(it is so sad, she is a beautifull girl, how the hell they could kill her... assholes)

Mir tahsin , one of the relligous leaders of the ezedis said, they condmen killing that ezedi girl ,
he also added , her killing was not because of converting to islam, and she didnt convert to islam , she was ezedi , and she was killed because of a behaviour and deed matter ...

he continued ,we are for Laws , and we ask peopel to do negotiate before doing such things and let do by law !

source : http://peyamner.com/default.aspx?l=1&id=14462
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then YOU WIN !
dyaoko
Shaswar
Shaswar
Founder
Founder
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostAuthor: Piling » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:43 am

Perhaps Mir Tahsin Beg did not want to admit that a Yezidi girl did convert to islam, but I doubt that hundred of people could gather just for slaughtering with stone a "bad teen girl" of 16. BTW, it seemed that she fled at first toward muslim and was sheltered by a Sheykh. If that is true, why a sheykh would have done it for a Yezidi girl ?

The problem is the conception of "laicism" in eastern societies and their ideas of religious freedom : in Western countries, it is a personnal stuff, you have, as an individual, the right to chose your religion, whatever your origin, to chose your way of life, whatever your family think of it, etc. But in Eastern society, when a group claims its right to religious freedom (as yezidism and others) they just claim the right for a GROUP to be free. They don't seem to allow the same right for each member of this group. It is the same thing in islam : if a muslim change of religion, he risks a lot, as according to islamic law, the punishment is Death.

So the problem is not the inherent violence within religion : it is just that in the current Kurdish society individuels have a few rights facing the rules of Groups (family, clans, neighbouring, etc).

Of course, Western individualism has some disagreements also.
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: sicpit » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:52 am

Poor girl, they said this lasted like half hour. she is in the hands of the gods. May she be in peace or be reborn in better circumstances.
sicpit
Ashna
Ashna

Nationality: Kurd by heart

PostAuthor: Piling » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:16 am

Perhaps this time she'll wish to reborn not in a Yezidi body... God could be kind with her, after all. She needs a bit rest in her next existence ! :lol:
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: dyaoko » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:15 pm

I think if kurdish society is gonna be modern , then it should admit indiviualsim....

in our fammliles we never had been A person , we were always a familly, u can hardly find a family in kurdistan which each chilld has his own room (even though they ahve BIG HOUSES because they all live in one room...under father's kingdom)

if we are gonna be modern, then we should change these stuff , ofcourse we should keep the good things in our culture...and just let have some personal lifes instead of social lfie... it is nesscearay for being modern !
dyaoko
Shaswar
Shaswar
Founder
Founder
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostAuthor: Amanc » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:02 pm

i watched the videos, can anybody tell me why these yezidis speak arabic? are they from bashiqa?

bashiqa yezidis used to be baathists, sorry but thats reality
What if tomorrow never comes and you don't know how I feel?
Amanc
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: abdur » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:11 pm

About the question if it she was murdered because of changing religion or if it was a case of honour killing, i've got this text from aliraqi website:

In Bashika, Mosul, hundreds of men beat and stoned a 17 year old woman named Du'a Khalil Aswad to death, in a gruesome example of collective 'honour killing'. The woman, a member of the Yezidi religion, which is practised by Kurds in Northern Iraq ran away from her family to join an Arab Muslim man with whom she had fallen in love and had been meeting secretly, but who rejected her. Damned under the 'honour' code, for running away, for choosing outside her own community and for being ultimately rejected, Du'a had nowhere to go.

She stayed with a local Yezidi tribal leader for five days until she was convinced to return to her village on the understanding that she had been 'forgiven.' She was abducted and brutally murdered in front of hundreds of men by her relatives -- who stripped her body, beat and kicked her, and killed her by crushing her body with rocks and concrete blocks. These brutal and inhuman acts were filmed by the participants on their mobile phones and many of them have been circulating on the internet and from phone to phone. They show the participation of the police in this disgusting communal murder and the murderous excitement of the crowd as the girl's uncle, brother and cousin commit the grisly murder.

Islamist groups active in the area have sought to capitalise on this crime and are urging revenge attacks upon all Yezidis, claiming that she had converted to Islam and characterising the murder as a 'martyrdom' rather than an 'honour' killing. Women in the Middle East face patriarchal oppression and violence whether they are Muslim, Druze, Yezidi or Christian. 'Honour' killings are common amongst Kurds (the UN has recorded 40 honour killings in Kurdistan in 3 months in 2007) and public murders like this have been noted before: for example in the case of Semse Allak in the Kurdish region of Turkey. Islamists throughout Iraq seek to exploit the racial and religious divisions in the country; one mosque has declared a 'fatwa' against the Yezidi and 23 have been murdered. For this reason, prompt action to locate the relatives of the young woman and the police who failed to act is essential to restore peace and allow the Yezidi community to feel safe again.
abdur
Shermin
Shermin

Nationality: Prefer not to say

PostAuthor: Piling » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:48 pm

Em, endamên Civata Rûhanî ya Êzîdiyan li Îraqê û cihanê hemi, tevlî serokê vê Civatê û komîta wan ya şîretkariyê, wê mirovkujiya ku bi destên çend xortên nezan û bêmejî di 07. Nîsanê.2007`an de li gundê Behzanî çê bûbû, şermezar û rûreş dikin û li dij radiwestin. Wan ji nezanî û cahiltiya xwe û ji nenasîna kelepûrên êlî (eşîrtî) keçeke Êzîdî bi şêweyekî hovîtî kuştin. Ew keça cangorî hîç girêdana wê bi Îsalmê ve tune bû û her wiha ne weke axiftin û gotegotên belavbûne. Lê hindek

aliyên xêrnexwaz û gelac û nijadperest li xirabûnê digeriyan û dixwestin di navbera me û birayên me yên misilman de û bi navê ol û dîn neqencî û nebaşiyê belav bikin, agir bêtir gurr bikin. Ewan dixwestin ji kîsê gel armancên xwe yên bi qirrêj pêk bînin. Lê em dibêjin wan nemerdan ku dawiya her hewlek ji aliyê wan ve dê tim petax û hilweşandin be. Ew cudakirdina olî ji hêla wan ve tucar naçe serî û dê bi ser nekeve, jiberku em gelê welatekî ne, mina bira ne û her û tim em di şîn û şahiyên hevdu de bûn û di demên tarî de me destên hev kirtiye.

Ola Êzîdîtiyê, ya ku oleke “Yekxwedayî” ye û zorê û zordestiyê şermezar dike, dê çawa kuştin û mirovkuştinê qebûl bike û destûra vî karê nemerd û nebaş bide. Ew karê bi hovîtî û zirçoneyî dûrî kelepûrên vê olê ne û ne ji rabûn û rûniştina gelê me ye.

Di pirr Qewl û Nizayên me yên pîroz de hatiye ser zimên, ku “ Jiyan bi destê Xwedê ye û standina rih û can jî dê bi destê wî be û ji mafê wî be”.

Em bangî wekheviya fermî dikin, ku vê pirsgirêkê bi rengekî wekhevî û bê dilxwaziya alîyekî çareser bike. Em li dijî wan mirovan radiwestin, yên ku dixazin biratiya ol û baweriyên Kurdistanê û Îraqê helweşînin. Rabûn û rûniştina Êzîdiyan di demên bûrî de didine xuya kirin, ku ew tucar ji çarçûfeya çandî derneketine û her û tim rûmet dane û didane kultûr û olên din û bi rengekî biratî, wekhevî û aştîxwaz cîrantiya gelên dora xwe kirine. Bêguman ramanên niştimanperwerî ev rabûn û rûniştin rehkûr kir û hêrz dayê.

Em nerazîbûna xwe li ser vê mirovkujiya bi hovîtî tînin ser zimên û kûr û dûr şermezar dikin. Di eynî çax de em banga xwe digihînin hemû mirovên ji ol û baweriyên din, ku destên xwe bidine hev, daku em hemû bikanîbin bi yek destî û bi yek devî li hemberî ruyên wan mirovên şerxwaz, mêldarîkar, gellac û armancxirab rabin.

Nîşanek ji nîşanên karê wan yên genî û bi qirrêj, ew kuştina 24 karkerên Êzîdiyên bê guneh di 22.04.2007`an de bû, yên ku bi dehsalan di karistana tevin û çêkirina caw de li bajarê Mûsilê kar dikirin. Wan ew karker kuştin bi tenê jiberku ew Êzîdî bûn. Ev mirovên nemerd û xênexwaz mihawelên xwe didomînin, jiboku di navbera gel û olên wî de şerr û birakujî peyda bibe û jiberku ew berî hingî, li gel ku pirr propaganda delreşiyê û dexis û buxdê kirin jî lê nigihiştin wan armancan.

Em mirovin xêrxwaz in, ne şerrxwaz in. Daxwaziya me jiyana bi aştî û bi biratî li gel gelên e. Em hemû, weke Qewlên me yên pîroz dibêjin, xwedêperest in û di eynî kat de jî bira ne.

Xwedê xêrê li ser me giştan bibarîne û şerran ji ser me wergerîne û hemû di xêr û xweşiya welat û yekîtiya gel de bimîne .

Tehsî Se`îd Ali

Mîrê Êzîdiyan li Îraqê û cîhanê û serokê Civata Rûhanî ya bilind.

27. Nîsanê 2007

Here is the speech of Mîr Tehsîn Beg who condemns firmly the murder. I think that Pîrs and Sheykhs (muslims or Yezidis or Yaresan) are for the moment, in the current state of the Kurdish society, the main actors to prevent such deeds, like in the former riots when all the rîçsipî stopped the conflict. After all they have the power to punish their own members !
In Northern Kurdistan, Sheykhs and religious figures had lost their influence because of kemalism and the honour killing continues, without counter-power...
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: sicpit » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:27 pm

I prayed a week ago when I heard this, I prayed for the Yezidi people to have a new avator. Every religion and faith changes, even Yezidi changed before. The force of the rebellious one, and the destroyer, come and in the form of a human body and rebell and destroy what is no longer productive. This happend in the christian and jew faith, ultimately happend with Islam. Hinduism, and Buhdism have many sects, and new Ideas. I love Yezidi, My beliefs aren't that diferent from Yezidi, I am not going to go into that, but if anyone ask I will tell them.
sicpit
Ashna
Ashna

Nationality: Kurd by heart

PostAuthor: Comerd » Tue May 01, 2007 12:49 am

I saw the video a couple of days ago and after watching it I was completely shocked. I still can't stop thinking about it. :(

For those who want to see the video, the link is below:
http://kurdistannet.info/2007/4-2007/28-4/du3a.htm
The film is very brutal and horrifying, do not watch it if you are sensitive.
Comerd
Nubar
Nubar

Next

Return to Kurdistan Debates, Articles and Analysis