Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

Food and Health Room

a place for talking about food, specially Kurdish food recipes

Re: Food Room

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:28 pm

They must be related to the tiny wee jumping black spiders we have in the UK

But depending where people live, some people do have large spiders coming indoors

I do NOT like large spiders but they are attracted to me and tend to sit near me waiting for me to put them out

They seem to think I am some form of spider transport service :-s
Good Thoughts Good Words Good Deeds
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 3
Arcade winning challenges: 6
Nationality: Kurd by heart

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostAuthor: Anthea » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:52 am

How My Perfect Eyes banishes wrinkles

It's the anti-wrinkle cream that was deemed too good to be true

Cynics believed that it was impossible that My Perfect Eyes could fulfil claims that their $40 cream could banish wrinkles in just seconds.

But when UK watchdogs investigated complaints that commercials for the product made outlandish assertions that couldn't possibly be true, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled that these claims were indeed accurate.

My Perfect Eyes is clinically proven to erase the appearance of unwanted wrinkles, fine lines and dark circles without the need for expensive and painful treatments

And now the My Perfect Eyes cream is making waves in the US and across the world, with one cream sold every 60 seconds globally.

The invisible concealer, which is currently on sale at $39.99 down from $69.95, is clinically proven to erase the appearance of unwanted wrinkles, fine lines and dark circles without the need for expensive and painful treatments, and within a minute.

So it works as an ideal solution for women (and men) who want an instant, transformative lift from a product they can apply at home, avoiding the need to visit a clinic and deal with needles or other invasive treatments.

The cream has also been shown to tackle the appearance of puffiness and under-eye bags.

It effectively creates an invisible veil across the under eye area, masking wrinkles and compressing puffiness.

In 2016, a television commercial for My Perfect Eyes aired in the UK featuring testimonials from customers and a voiceover making the claim that it 'appears to temporarily reverse time'.

A time lapse sequence showed the cream visibly tightening the bags under one eye over just 60 seconds.

Photographs of a woman 'before' and 'after' using the product showed that the puffiness under her eyes and her crow's feet wrinkles had decreased.

A UK dermatherapist, Dr Hugo Kitchen, was then heard praising the performance of the cream based on detailed before and after scans.

The manufacturer, My Perfect Cosmetics Company, presented evidence from a trial to verify the cream's effects.

A skin consultant also agreed that it worked. The ASA said: 'The consultant confirmed that the product contained ingredients which dried out when applied to the skin and formed a film.

'That process tightened the skin which made wrinkles appear to reduce dramatically. The consultant confirmed that those ingredients had an immediate effect, which was temporary, but its effect could last for several hours.'

The clinical trial involved a ten-hour study with 24 people where one eye was treated with the cream and the other was not.

The ASA said: 'The study reported an improvement in a significant majority of subjects with fine lines and wrinkles, as well as swelling.

GET THE BEST DEAL ON MY PERFECT EYES

My Perfect Eyes is currently at its best price ever. The 10g product is just $39.99, containing 100 applications.

Upgrade to the 20g, 200 application bottle for $66.95 and receive a FREE My Perfect Night containing the super ingredient Ameliox worth $29.99.

The $89.95 deluxe trio offer includes the 200g My Perfect Eyes cream, as well as a FREE My Perfect Night and a HALF PRICE My Perfect Day cream.

'In addition, the study showed that in 50 per cent of the subjects, the treated eye was assessed to be "markedly better" than the control eye, at all three time points.

'We considered the effects seen were down to use of the product.'

In a ruling published shortly after, the ASA said: 'We concluded the claim made by Dr Kitchen, which was accompanied by the "before and after" photos, did not misleadingly exaggerate the effects of the cream.'

The cream has notched up hundreds of glowing reviews on the My Perfect Cosmetics Company website, with customers praising its effectiveness.

One shopper wrote: 'I thought the perfect eyes wouldn't work but it really does and I'm thrilled with how it does, got rid of my eye bags without having to have surgery, I use it every time I go out.'

Another raved: 'Very impressed...definitely works for me.. I am 55 with dreadful crow's feet. Happy with the result of wrinkles disappearing.. Bonus for me is it also works on my permanent frown line.'

The 10g cream that is currently on sale for $39.99 contains enough product for roughly 100 applications.

Customers can also upgrade to the 20g, 200 application bottle and receive a free My Perfect Night cream worth $29.99.

As well as My Perfect Eyes and My Perfect Night, the My Perfect Cosmetics Company produces a number of other skincare products. This includes My Perfect Facial, another anti-aging treatment that tightens, firms and tones the skin, which currently sells for $39.99.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... nkles.html

I need to bathe in this =))
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Dialing Down the Grim Reaper Gene

Only about 1 in 10,000 people live to be a 100 years old. What’s their secret? I discuss this in my video Animal Protein Compared to Cigarette Smoking

In 1993, a major breakthrough in longevity research was published about a single genetic mutation that doubled the lifespan of a tiny roundworm. Instead of all worms being dead by 30 days, the mutants lived 60 days or longer. This lifespan extension was “the largest yet reported in any organism.” This methuselah worm, a “medical marvel,” is “the equivalent of a healthy 200-year-old human.” All because of a single mutation? That shouldn’t happen. Presumably, aging is caused by multiple processes, affected by many genes. How could knocking out a single gene double lifespan?

What is this aging gene—a gene that so speeds up aging that if it’s knocked out, the animals live twice as long? It’s been called the Grim Reaper gene and is the worm equivalent of the human insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) receptor. Mutations of that same receptor in humans may help explain why some people live to be a hundred and other people don’t.

So, is it just the luck of the draw whether we got good genes or bad ones? No, we can turn on and off the expression of these genes, depending on what we eat. Years ago I profiled a remarkable series of experiments about IGF-1, a cancer-promoting growth hormone released in excess amounts by our liver when we eat animal protein. Men and women who don’t eat meat, egg white, or dairy proteins have significantly lower levels of IGF-1 circulating within their bodies, and switching people to a plant-based diet can significantly lower IGF-1 levels within just 11 days, markedly improving the ability of women’s bloodstreams to suppress breast cancer cell growth and then kill off breast cancer cells.

Similarly, the blood serum of men on a plant-based diet suppresses prostate cancer cell growth about eight times better than before they changed their diet. However, this dramatic improvement in cancer defenses is abolished if just the amount of IGF-1 banished from their systems as a result of eating and living healthier is added back. This is one way to explain the low rates of cancer among plant-based populations: The drop in animal protein intake leads to a drop in IGF-1, which in turn leads to a drop in cancer growth. The effect is so powerful that Dr. Dean Ornish and colleagues appeared to be able to reverse the progression of early-stage prostate cancer without chemotherapy, surgery, or radiation—just a plant-based diet and lifestyle program.

When we’re kids, we need growth hormones to grow. There’s a rare genetic defect that causes severe IGF-1 deficiency, leading to a type of dwarfism. It also apparently makes you effectively cancer-proof. A study reported not a single death from cancer in about 100 individuals with IGF-1 deficiency. What about 200 individuals? None developed cancer. Most malignant tumors are covered in IGF-1 receptors, but if there’s no IGF-1 around, they may not be able to grow and spread.

This may help explain why lives appear to be cut short by eating low-carb diets. It’s not just any low-carb diet, though. Specifically, low-carb diets based on animal sources appear to be the problem, whereas vegetable-based low-carb diets were associated with a lower risk of death. But low-carb diets are high in animal fat as well as animal protein, so how do we know the saturated animal fat wasn’t killing off people and it had nothing to do with the protein? What we need is a study that follows a few thousand people and their protein intakes for 20 years or so, and sees who lives longest, who gets cancer, and who doesn’t. But, there had never been a study like that…until now.

Six thousand men and women over age 50 from across the United States were followed for 18 years, and those under age 65 with high protein intakes had a 75 percent increase in overall mortality and a fourfold increase in the risk of dying from cancer. Does it matter what type of protein? Yes. “These associations were either abolished or attenuated if the proteins were plant derived,” which makes sense given the higher IGF-1 levels in those eating excess protein.

The sponsoring university sent out a press release with a memorable opening line: “That chicken wing you’re eating could be as deadly as a cigarette.” It explained that “eating a diet rich in animal proteins during middle age makes you four times more likely to die of cancer than someone with a low-protein diet—a mortality risk factor comparable to smoking.” And when they say “low-protein diet,” what they actually mean is getting the recommended amount of protein.

“Almost everyone is going to have a cancer cell or pre-cancer cell in them at some point. The question is: Does it progress?” said one of the lead researchers. That may depend on what we eat.

“[T]he question is not whether a certain diet allows you to do well for three days,” a researcher noted, “but can it help you survive to be 100?” Excessive protein consumption isn’t only “linked to a dramatic rise in cancer mortality, but middle-aged people who eat lots of proteins from animal sources…are also more susceptible to early death in general.” Crucially, the same didn’t apply to plant proteins like beans, and it wasn’t the fat; the animal protein appeared to be the culprit.

What was the response to the revelation that diets high in meat, eggs, and dairy could be as harmful to health as smoking? One nutrition scientist replied that it was potentially dangerous because it could “damage the effectiveness of important public health messages.” Why? Because a smoker might think “why bother quitting smoking if my cheese and ham sandwich is just as bad for me?”

This reminds me of a famous Philip Morris cigarette ad that tried to downplay the risks of smoking by saying that if we think second-hand smoke is bad, increasing the risk of lung cancer 19 percent, drinking one or two glasses of milk every day may be three times as bad with a 62 percent higher risk of lung cancer. What’s more, doubling the risk is frequently cooking with oil, tripling our risk of heart disease is eating non-vegetarian, and multiplying our risk six-fold is eating lots of meat and dairy. So, they conclude, “Let’s keep a sense of perspective.” The ad goes on to say that the risk of cancer from second-hand smoke may be “well below the risk reported…for many everyday items and activities.” So, breathe deep!

That’s like saying we shouldn’t worry about getting stabbed because getting shot is so much worse. Or, if we don’t wear seatbelts, we might as well have unprotected sex. If we go bungee jumping, we might as well disconnect our smoke alarms at home. Two risks don’t make a right.

Of course, you’ll note Philip Morris stopped throwing dairy under the bus once they purchased Kraft Foods.

The IGF-1 story is so pivotal that it’s one of the first video series I ever produced for NutritionFacts.org. I’m so glad I was able to release this long-awaited update. If you want a blast from the past, watch the original series starting with Engineering a Cure.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2019/07/11/d ... a3MRbaZlmA
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Lifestyle changes that could
lower your dementia risk

Nearly everyone can lower their risk of dementia, even if it runs in the family, by living a healthy lifestyle, research suggests

The study of nearly 200,000 people showed the risk fell by up to a third.

The team at the University of Exeter said the results were exciting, empowering and showed people were not doomed to get dementia.

The findings were revealed at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference.

What counts as a healthy lifestyle?

The researchers gave people a healthy lifestyle score based on a combination of exercise, diet, alcohol and smoking.

This is an example of someone who scored well:

Doesn't currently smoke
    Cycles at normal pace for two-and-a-half hours a week
    Eats a balanced diet that includes more than three portions of fruit and vegetables a day
    eats fish twice a week and rarely eats processed meat
    Drinks up to one pint of beer a day
And an unhealthy one?

Currently smokes regularly
    Does no regular exercise
    Eats a diet that includes less than three servings of fruit and vegetables a week
    includes two or more servings of processed meat and of red meat a week
    Drinks at least three pints of beer a day
How easy is it to do?

Sue Taylor, 62, from Exeter, has seen the impact of dementia on a family - both her mother and grandmother had the disease.

She takes exercise classes in the park three times a week - even in winter - and has a 45-minute walk before work.

"It takes a lot of effort, you have to think about it and make it fit in," she told me.

But she says it's worth it, especially for her grandchildren.

"I just want to keep my brain as sharp as possible for as long as possible. I don't want them to miss out on having grandparents both physically and mentally," she said.

So how big a difference did lifestyle make?

The study followed 196,383 people from the age of 64 for about eight years.

It analysed people's DNA to assess their genetic risk of developing the disease.

The study showed there were 18 cases of dementia per 1,000 people if they were born with high risk genes and then led an unhealthy lifestyle.

But that went down to 11 per 1,000 people during the study if those high-risk people had a healthy lifestyle.

It doesn't seem like a big difference?

The figures might seem small, but that is because your mid-60s are relatively young in terms of dementia.

The researchers say cutting dementia rates by a third would have a profound impact in older age groups where the disease is more common.

"It could equate to hundreds of thousands of people," Dr David Llewellyn, told the BBC.

Also, this type of research cannot definitively prove that lifestyle causes different risks of dementia. It simply spots patterns in the data.

But the results, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, fit with previous research and World Health Organization advice.

Can I dodge dementia completely?

Sadly, you can live the life of a saint and still get the disease. Lifestyle just changes the odds.

However, there are still no drugs to change the course of this disease.

Reducing your chances is all anyone can do.

Does this apply to everybody?

The findings may not apply to people with very early onset dementia that starts when people are in the 40s and 50s, say the researchers.

But they think their results would apply to people in older age groups when dementia gets more common.

The researchers say the study applies to dementia in general rather than specific forms of the disease like Alzheimer's or vascular dementia.

What is the key message?

"Even if you're worried about dementia, maybe you've got a family history yourself, what our research suggests is it doesn't matter, Dr David Llewellyn, told the BBC.

"You're still likely to lower your own risk of dementia substantially if you change to a healthy lifestyle.

"That's really empowering."

Fellow researcher Dr Elzbieta Kuzma said it was the first time anyone had shown you could counteract an inherited risk of dementia and the findings were "exciting".

What do the experts say?

Fiona Carragher, from the Alzheimer's Society, commented: "With one person developing dementia every three minutes in the UK, knowing how to lower our dementia risk couldn't be more vital.

"So hit that salad bar, swap a cocktail for a mocktail and get your exercise kit on!"

Dr Carol Routledge, from Alzheimer's Research UK, said the findings were "important".

"This is yet more evidence that there are things we can all do to reduce our risk of developing dementia, yet research suggests that only 34% of adults think that this is possible.

"While we can't change the genes we inherit, this research shows that changing our lifestyle can still help to stack the odds in our favour."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48963215
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Piling » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Sadly, you can live the life of a saint and still get the disease.

And had a boring life for nuts :lol:
Piling
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

Highscores: 2
Arcade winning challenges: 3
Nationality: European

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Life should never be boring ;)

I would hate to forget all the mischievous and often evil things I have done and am still doing :ymdevil:
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:18 am

Four-in-one pill prevents
third of heart problems

A daily pill containing four medicines can cut the number of heart attacks and strokes by a third

The polypill contains blood-thinning aspirin, a cholesterol-lowering statin and two drugs to lower blood pressure.

The researchers - in Iran and the UK - said the pill had a huge impact but cost just pennies a day.

They suggest giving it to everyone over a certain age in poorer countries, where doctors have fewer options and are less able to assess individuals.

Coronary heart disease and stroke are the top two causes of death worldwide, killing more than 15 million people a year.

Smoking, obesity and doing little exercise all increase the risk of an unhealthy heart.

The study, published in the Lancet, was based in more than 100 villages in Iran and about 6,800 people took part.

Half the people were given the polypill and advice on how to improve their lifestyle, with the other half just getting the advice.

After five years there were:

202 major cardiovascular events in the 3,421 people getting the polypill

301 in the 3,417 not getting the pill
At this rate, giving the preventative drug combination to 35 people would prevent one of them developing a serious heart problem over the course of five years.

"We've provided evidence in a developing or middle-income country - and that's a lot of countries - that this is a strategy worth considering," Professor Tom Marshall, from the University of Birmingham, told BBC News.

The polypill led to large reductions in bad cholesterol but had only a slight effect on blood pressure, the study showed.

The drug was given to people over the age of 50 whether they had had a previous heart problem or not.

A third of Britons with high blood pressure were unaware they have the condition

"Given the polypill's affordability, there is considerable potential to improve cardiovascular health and to prevent the world's leading cause of death," said Dr Nizal Sarrafzadegan, of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran.

The idea of the polypill has been around since 2001 but this is the first major trial to prove its effectiveness.

In the UK and other wealthier countries doctors have the time to assess the needs of individual patients and a wide choice of different drugs, such as statins, to chose from.

"In the UK, the advantages would be more marginal and you would probably want a clinical trial to see any benefits over what is offered at the moment," said Prof Marshall.

The drug is also not licensed in the UK and would be tricky to get approved.

The British Heart Foundation said a third of Britons with high blood pressure were unaware they have the condition.

"This means that the biggest priority in the UK is to identify more people who do not realise they have high blood cholesterol or high blood pressure and to help people prescribed medications to take them as prescribed," the charity said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49434337
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:33 am

5 ways to make breakfast
weight-loss friendly

It’s often referred to as the most important meal of the day and, in terms of weight loss, your breakfast can set the tone for the day ahead

But what are the dos and don’ts when it comes to starting your day right?

Here are nutritionist Kim Pearson’s top five tips to ensuring your first meal of the day is weight-loss friendly.

Don’t Skip Breakfast

Unless you’re following a time restricted eating plan with a reduced eating window, which involves starting your food intake later in the day, don’t be tempted to skip breakfast. The chances are you’ll end up paying for it later on.

Many clients I consult for weight loss have historically skipped breakfast to ‘save calories’ but end up compensating for this later in the day with sugary afternoon snacks or an inability to stop eating once they’ve finished dinner.

Starting the day with a good breakfast can reduce your chances of overeating later on.

Protein Power

The most important thing to remember with breakfast is that you want this meal to fuel you right through until lunch so that you’re not tempted to snack on biscuits, and you have plenty of energy and focus to power your morning.

Lots of people reach for starchy carbs thinking toast or cereal will kick-start their day, but including a good source of protein is a much better option for slow-release energy and to keep you fuller for longer.

Try eggs and avocado on rye bread for a great combination of protein, healthy fat and slow-release carbs that will keep energised and satisfied until lunchtime.

Shake it to Wake It

Avoid on-the-go options like breakfast bars and biscuits that are usually packed with sugar and likely to cause mid-morning energy dips and cravings. Instead, if you’re pressed for time, grab a protein smoothie on the way out the door.

Combine a scoop of good quality protein powder, a healthy fat source (nuts, seeds, avocado), some vegetables (spinach, courgette), a portion of fruit (mixed berries) and a slug of nut milk into a blender and blitz for 30 seconds.

Hey presto, a balanced, nutritious meal that will keep you satisfied all morning.
[breakfast-smoothies.jpg]

Healthy smoothies make a great on-the-go breakfast option (Photo by Jose Soriano on Unsplash)

Meal Prep

Don’t leave your breakfast decisions to the last minute. Careful planning is a key element in all weight loss and healthy eating regimes. Spontaneous meal decisions, or those made when hungry, are usually the least healthy so consider preparing your breakfast in advance.

Egg muffins, chia seed puddings and pre-prepared smoothie ingredients (which can be frozen in portions) are all good examples. This way you can wake up and enjoy the perfect healthy breakfast even before your brain is in gear for the day.

Keep a Routine

Aim to eat breakfast at roughly the same time each day. Studies have shown that having irregular meals may increase your likelihood of obesity, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes, regardless of the amount of calories you’re consuming.

Regular mealtimes can also help to regulate our circadian rhythms. Some of my clients find themselves so busy they forget to eat when they should. If you find this to be the case, setting an alarm in your phone can help remind you to eat before it’s time to rush out of the door.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/we ... 00501.html
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:38 am

Experts reveal 7 energy
boosting foods you need

Fitness experts have listed the 7 foods people need to be eating more of each week to ensure they stay healthy both inside and out

1. Avocados

It's understood avocados, unlike other fruits, are made up of 77 per cent fat and very little in the way of carbs.

Avocados fall into a category of fats known as unsaturated fats.

These fats, generally liquid at room temperature, are considered beneficial fats because they can improve blood cholesterol levels and ease inflammation.

2. Oily fish

Oily fish, particularly salmon, trout and sardines, fall into the category of polyunsaturated fat sources.

This type of fat helps with muscle movement, blood clotting and has anti-inflammatory properties and it's not fat your body can make on its own.

Foods containing this source of fat are divided into two groups: Omega 3 foods including salmon, tuna, sardines, trout and herring and Omega 6: safflower, soybean, sunflower, walnut and corn oil.

While it is suggested to eat three servings of Omega 3 foods per week, if this isn't possible, taking a supplement can also be beneficial.

3. Chia seeds

The humble chia seed is considered a superfood by those across health food trends.

This is because they contain 80 per cent fat as well as a type of Omega 3 called ALA (alpha-linolenic acid).

Chia seeds also come are packed with fibre and trace minerals. These include calcium, phosphorus and zinc.

4. Eggs

Eggs are one of the most versatile foods on offer - one that comes with essential minerals and 11 different vitamins.

And according to the Heart Foundation Australia, they're also a source of healthy fats including Omega-3 fats.

Eggs are one of the most versatile foods on offer - one that comes packed with essential minerals and 11 different vitamins

5. Olive oil

Olive oil, along with peanut oil, canola oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, falls into the category of unsaturated fats.

These fats are understood to have a range of health benefits, with one being they are particularly good for heart health.

However, even healthier fats like olive oil are high in calories, so use them in moderation, cautions experts at the Mayo Clinic.

6. Cheese

Cheese is a food that comes packed with protein and is laden with healthy fats.

'It [cheese] contains powerful fatty acids that are linked to a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes,' said the experts at Virgin Active.

'It can be eaten as an appetiser, snack, topping or dessert and is packed full of calcium and good fats.'

Cheese contains powerful fatty acids that are linked to a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes

7. Nuts

Nuts are an easy and relatively inexpensive way to get more healthy fats into your diet.

While all are a good source of polyunsaturated, walnuts are thought to be the highest in Omega-3.

According to experts, a handful a day can lower your cholesterol and improve blood vessel function.

Almonds and pistachios are also considered great nuts to eat more of if you're looking to get extra healthy fat into your diet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -diet.html
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Common cold stopped by
experimental approach

Scientists think they have found a way to stop the common cold and closely related viruses which can cause paralysis

Instead of trying to attack them directly, the researchers targeted an essential protein inside our cells which the viruses need to replicate.

The approach gave "complete protection" in experiments on mice and human lung cells.

However, the US-based researchers are not ready for trials in people.
The common-cold challenge

Tackling the common cold has been a massive problem in medicine.

Most colds are caused by rhinoviruses, but there are around 160 different types and they mutate so easily they rapidly become resistant to drugs, or learn to hide from the immune system.

This has led to the idea of "host-directed therapy" - essentially making our bodies inhospitable for the cold viruses.

An individual virus does not have everything it needs to replicate. Instead, it is dependent on infecting another cell and stealing some of the parts inside.

It is why scientists still argue whether viruses are truly alive.

A team at Stanford University and the University of California, San Francisco, found one of the components which the viruses were dependent upon.

Viral dependency

Scientists started with human cells and then used gene-editing to turn off instructions inside our DNA one-by-one.

These modified cells were then exposed to a range of enteroviruses - this includes the rhinoviruses which cause the common cold, and more dangerous viruses that are closely related to polio and can cause paralysis.

All the viruses were unable to replicate inside cells which had the instructions for a protein (called methyltransferase SETD3) switched off.

The scientists then created genetically modified mice which were completely unable to produce that protein.

"Lacking that gene protected the mice completely from viral infection," associate professor Jan Carette, from Stanford, told the BBC.

"These mice would always die [without the mutation], but they survived and we saw a very strong reduction in viral replication and very strong protection."

The protein these viruses were dependent upon normally has a role in the intricate "scaffolding" which organises the inside of the body's cells, called the cytoskeleton.

The findings, published in the journal Nature Microbiology, showed the genetically modified mice were healthy, despite lacking the protein for their whole lives.

When do we get a cure?

The plan is not to produce genetically modified humans, but to find a drug which can temporarily suppress the protein, and provide protection.

"We have identified a fantastic target that all enteroviruses and rhinoviruses require and depend on. Take that away and the virus really has no chance," said Prof Carette.

He added: "This is a really good first step - the second step is to have a chemical that mimics this genetic deletion.

"I think development can go relatively quickly."

Exactly what role the protein plays in the viral replication is still uncertain, and will require further research.

For most people the common cold is more of an inconvenience than a threat to their health, but in asthmatics it can make their symptoms much worse and some of the enteroviruses can causes paralysis if they spread to the brain.

Prof Jonathan Ball, a virologist at the University of Nottingham, who was not involved in the work, said the study was "neat" but scientists would need to be certain the approach was safe.

"There is increasing interest in developing treatments that target these host proteins, because it can potentially overcome virus mutation - one of the major barriers to developing effective broadly active antivirals.

"But of course, viruses are very adaptable and it is conceivable that even a host-targeting treatment might not keep them at bay for long."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49682583
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:14 am

NHS diabetes expert reveals
secrets to healthy eating

A few weeks ago, I rang a patient to congratulate him as the latest in my care (the 66th!) who’s reversed type 2 diabetes and come off diabetes medication by going low-carb. It was a joyous moment for him — and for me.

Dr David Unwin is an NHS diabetes expert who worked with the Caldesis to develop a new approach to low-carb meals

For a long time I’d believed that treating type 2 diabetes was at best about trying to manage the condition, mainly with lifelong medication. Now I know it can be reversed or, perhaps more properly, put into drug-free remission, as I’ve seen from the astonishing results in my own Merseyside NHS practice.

In this new exclusive series for the Mail, I’ll explain how going low-carb could help you, too — and not just with type 2, for it may also help other conditions such as high blood pressure or swollen ankles.

I’ll show you how much starchy carbs such as potato and bread can affect your blood sugar levels, with some eye-opening charts I’ve produced. These have now been approved by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), the government’s healthcare watchdog, as a useful resource for people with type 2

All this will be combined with delicious autumn, low-carb recipes from Katie Caldesi to help you get started.

Until I came across the low-carb approach, like so many GPs across the country, I despaired about the apparently unstoppable tide of obesity and type 2. By 2012, my GP practice had seen a horrifying eight-fold increase in patients with diabetes since I’d started as a young partner in 1986.

This was matched by other worrying trends in obesity and high blood pressure.

Simple ways to stay trim

Let me remind you of the simple rules to help you stick to a low-carb approach. (Lean and healthy people can have more leeway, such as adding extra fruit or starchy vegetables or the occasional slice of sourdough bread.)

1: Reduce or eliminate your intake of sugar and high-carb foods including breakfast cereals, bread, pasta, white potatoes, rice, couscous, crackers, oats, oat cakes, rice cakes, cakes, biscuits, sweets, milk chocolate, fruit juice, fizzy drinks and cordials.

2: At every meal, load up with non-starchy and salad vegetables such as kale, lettuce, broccoli, mushrooms or peppers.

3: Eat good fats, including oily fish, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado and animal fats. Add nuts and cheese in moderation — although nutritious, they are high in calories.

4: Choose fruit naturally low in sugar — including berries, apples and pears — over high-sugar tropical fruits such as bananas, mango and pineapple.

5: Eat some form of protein in every meal.

6: Stop snacking. Fasting between meals and overnight helps improve your body’s response to insulin.

7: Drink two litres of water a day to keep your body well hydrated.

Note: Always consult your GP before starting a new diet plan, particularly if taking any medication.

Then came my Eureka moment — as readers will recall from my low-carb series in the Mail earlier this year: one day a patient walked in, having lost stones in weight and come off her type 2 diabetes medication.

To my amazement, blood tests confirmed that after 12 years with type 2, her condition was in remission! In 26 years as a GP, I’d never seen type 2 diabetes reversed, enabling a patient to be come medication free.

She’d done it by going low-carb. Using the lessons this trailblazing patient had learned, I’ve introduced low-carb as an option for my patients — with advice and support groups, as well as cooking events — and remission from type 2 is something I see frequently.

So how does low-carb help? Essentially, people with type 2 have a problem dealing with sugar. Our bodies respond to a sugary meal by producing the hormone insulin, which pushes the extra sugar into muscle cells for energy.

Excess sugar is also pushed into belly fat and the liver. This can result in weight gain and the insulin the body produces becoming less effective. As a result, sugar builds up in the blood, over time damaging small blood vessels in vital organs, such as the kidneys, eyes and even the heart.

So it makes sense to avoid sugar. Yet many people don’t understand is that this isn’t just about sugar in your tea, or biscuits — it includes starchy carbohydrates such as pasta and bread, which are broken down by digestion into surprising amounts of glucose.

For example, a 30g slice of wholemeal bread affects blood sugar to the same extent as three teaspoons of sugar. It has other benefits, such as B vitamins and fibre, but if you have type 2 diabetes, the sugar effect is very important.

A common misconception is that we need sugar for energy. I used to think this, too, but for six years I’ve been low-carb, yet I can still run for several miles, despite being over 60.

In fact, being low-carb has given me more energy. This is because we are designed to burn two fuels; either glucose or fat. If you’re not using sugar as a fuel — which is what happens if you go low-carb — this forces the body to become a fat burner.

As well as helping with type 2, this has other advantages such as weight loss. In a recently published trial, involving 150 of my patients, they lost an average 19lb (9kg) and their blood pressure also significantly improved.

It's amazing how much energy I've now got

Jo Davies, 54, a mother of two and chaplain, lives in South-West London with her husband Karl, 57, who works in IT. Jo was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 27 years ago and fatty liver disease earlier this year. She says:

Jo Davies, 54, a mother of two and chaplain lost 1st 7lb and said 'low-carb has given me a whole new life'

This month I went to see the diabetes nurse to get my routine blood sugar test results. ‘What have you been doing?’ she asked. ‘You’re not diabetic any more.’

We were both in tears. Neither of us could believe it — not least as I’ve had type 2 for nearly 30 years.

What I had been doing was following a low-carb diet and it’s transformed my life.

I was 27 when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes following a bout of viral pancreatitis. I followed all the medical and diet advice, yet I struggled to control my blood sugar levels.

My blood pressure specialist suggested I try a low-carb diet as he had lost four stone that way. Then I saw a headline in the Mail for the Diabetes Weight-loss Cookbook. I read all the science behind it. Suddenly I could see why all the advice I had been given had not worked.

My blood sugar levels are now down to 39, I have loads more energy and I’m now 11st. Low-carb has given me a whole new life.

At 74, I go to the gym four times a week

After: Roy Almond, 74, a retired illustrator and grandfather lost 3st 4lb

Roy Almond, 74, a retired illustrator and grandfather, lives with wife Pat, 70, a retired assistant speech therapist in Southport. Roy was diagnosed with type 2 in April. He says:

As soon as I was told I had type 2 diabetes, I said to Pat: ‘I’m going to do something about this.’

I’m 5ft 9in and I was 16st 7lb — giving me a BMI of 34, officially obese. I ate healthily but didn’t move much. I knew — from being a patient at Dr Unwin’s surgery — that low-carb could be the way forward.

So I threw out all the pasta and bread I wouldn’t be allowed.

One thing I missed was bread, but we found a seeded low-carb loaf, so I can have peanut butter on toast for breakfast. Lunch is homemade soup or tuna salad and dinner chicken stir-fry.

The weight is coming off — I’ve lost 3st 4lb and have so much more energy. I go to the gym four times a week and walk the dog twice a day.

Best of all, my diabetes is in remission — and if I can do it, anyone can.

Elizabeth Lepla, 67, from Basingstoke, Hampshire, lost 3st 12lb

Elizabeth Lepla, 67, who runs a business making miniature furniture, is divorced with a 26-year-old daughter and lives in Basingstoke, Hampshire. Elizabeth was diagnosed with type 2 in September 2017. She says:

Elated. That’s the only way to describe how I felt, in 2017, when I went low-carb and lost two stone in just six weeks, dropping from a size 20 to a size 16.

Around 14 years ago I was told I had raised blood sugar and was on my way to developing type 2 — I weighed around 12st (I’m 5ft 5in), with a BMI of 28, making me officially overweight.

My diet mirrored the Eatwell Guide issued by Public Health England, which says base your meals around starchy carbs. But my weight went up to 14st and in September 2017, blood tests showed I had full-blown type 2.

When I read about low-carb I was flabbergasted to learn that the potatoes, pasta and wholegrain bread I’d been eating were broken down in my body to glucose. I immediately cut these out.

I’m now down to 10st 2lb, but low-carb is not a diet of denial — one of my favourite meals is steak and salad.

Chris Rogers, 71, from Southport lost 4st

Chris Rogers, 71, a retired hotel proprietor, lives in Southport with wife Yvonne, 63, an accounts representative. Chris was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 20 years ago. Chris says

When Dr Unwin said ‘you don’t want to go on a diet, but to change the way you eat’ it was a lightbulb moment.

I was diagnosed with type 2 20 years ago. The diet advice then was to eat porridge as a healthy breakfast and snack on bananas.

I started the low-carb diet in March and it was hard at first.

At my heaviest I was 16st (at 5ft11in) and in six months I’ve lost over four stone and have gone from a 38in waist to a 34in waist. It’s cost me a fortune in trousers! I’m finding it easier to walk and play golf. My blood sugar levels have come right down and my blood pressure is lower.

Dr Unwin has reduced the metformin tablets I’ve been taking to reduce the side-effects of diabetes and he hopes that I’ll soon be able to come off them entirely.

Before: Chris was 16st at his heaviest and in six months lost over four stone going from a 38in waist to a 34in waist

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/arti ... -life.html
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:23 am

Duhok farmers showcase
their grape harvests

A group of 33 local farmers in the Kurdistan Region’s Duhok province gathered at 13th Grape Fair at Family Mall on Friday and displayed more than 60 types of grapes

Duhok’s grapes are well-known for their quality, which are typically of the red globe and black bird variety.

Khalid Ahmed is a local grape farmer. He told Rudaw that some lower-quality grapes imported from Egypt and the Kurdistan Region’s neighbors Iran and Turkey have harmed their business due to the lower prices of imported grapes.

“It is the harvest season now, but grapes are imported from Egypt, Iran and Turkey while we have such good quality grapes,” he said. “It has harmed our grape market, although they are not as good as ours, but their prices are lower.”

Ahmed Khalid is one of the farmers who displayed his grapes harvest at the fair.

He claimed that the chemicals they use for their farms could be expired, so he called on the government to ensure their quality.

“We are harmed financially and our harvest becomes useless,” he said.

Link to Mouthwatering Photos:

https://www.rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/21092019
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 am

Half of people surviving
untreatable cancer

More than half of patients can now survive a deadly skin cancer that was considered untreatable just a decade ago, say UK doctors

Ten years ago only one-in-20 patients would live for five years after being diagnosed with late-stage melanoma. Most would die in months.

But drugs to harness the body's immune system mean 52% now live for at least five years, a clinical trial shows.

Doctors said it was an extraordinary and rapid transformation in care.

How hard is melanoma to treat?

Melanoma is the fifth most common cancer in the UK and kills nearly 2,300 people each year.

If it is caught in the early stages then the chances of survival are good, but as the cancer becomes more aggressive and spreads throughout the body (known as metastatic cancer) then survival plummets.

"In the past, metastatic melanoma was regarded as untreatable," said Prof James Larkin, a consultant at the Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust.

He said: "Oncologists considered melanoma different to other cancers, it couldn't be treated once it had spread."

People tended to live between six and nine months after diagnosis.

What did the trial show?

The trial investigated two immunotherapy drugs which are designed to enhance the immune system and let it attack cancer.

There were 945 patients in the trial, a third were given nivolumab, a third were given ipilimumab and a third were given both.

Doctors then looked at the five-year survival rate - the proportion of patients still alive after five years.

The results showed:

26% were still alive on ipilimumab alone
    44% were still alive on nivolumab alone
    and 52% were still alive when given both
"It's been an amazing surprise to see so much progress in such a short a period of time," Prof Larkin told BBC News.

He said: "It's been the most extraordinary transformation from a disease that was regarded, among all the cancers as the most difficult to treat, the most serious prognosis.

He said there is now "the possibility that 50% of people with stage four melanoma are alive five years after having immunotherapy treatment."

The findings have been presented at a meeting of the European Society for Medical Oncology and published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

What do patients say?

Pam Smith: "I might not have seen my grandchildren"

Pam Smith, 67, from Royal Tunbridge Wells, started on the trial in January 2014.

She was "devastated" when she was told her cancer was untreatable and says she "wouldn't have stood a chance" without immunotherapy.

She had treatment once every two weeks for four months, but the drugs gave her such severe diarrhoea as a side-effect that she could no longer continue.

Her tumour halved in size after treatment and has not grown since. Pam now feels "brilliant".

She told the BBC: "I might not have seen my grandchildren.

"It's just over five years now since it happened and my youngest grandchild was six at the weekend.

"I wouldn't have seem him grow up and the other grandchildren as well."
Are these patients cured?

Saying cured is always difficult in cancer, but five-year-survival is a hugely significant milestone.

Some patients taking the drugs are in total remission with no sign of any abnormality on scans.

Others like Pam still have a tumour inside their bodies, but they are no longer growing.

Out of the patients that survived, three-quarters no longer need any form of cancer treatment.
How does immunotherapy work?

Immunotherapy is Nobel Prize-winning science that is making the untreatable treatable.

The field is one of the most exciting in cancer treatment.

The immune system constantly patrols our body, fighting off hostile invaders such as viruses.

It should attack cancers too - but cancers are a corrupted version of healthy tissue and can evolve ways of evading the immune system.

Ipilimumab and nivolumab both stop some cancers from hiding and allow the immune system to attack.

They interrupt the chemical signals that cancers use to put the brakes on the immune system.

Nivolumab blocks the off-switch on white blood cells called PD-1. Ipilimumab blocks a similar switch called CTLA-4.

It is described as taking the brakes off the immune system.

"By giving these drugs together you are effectively taking two brakes off the immune system rather than one so that the immune system is able to recognise tumours it wasn't previously recognising and react to that and destroy them," Prof Larkin said.

Are there side-effects?

Yes, the drugs are changing the way the immune system works inside the body and that can have consequences, such as fatigue, skin rashes and diarrhoea.

Some are severe enough that patients like Pam cannot complete a full course of treatment.

However, even a brief spell of immunotherapy had a lasting benefit on the immune system and on patients.

This is in stark contrast to other cancer treatments such as chemotherapy which stop working the moment the treatment stops.

Although this lasting changes means side-effects could continue to emerge as patients get older.
Are these drugs available?

Yes, earlier results from this trial led to these drugs being made available around the world - including on the UK's National Health Service.

The decision to approve the drugs for melanoma was one of the fastest in NHS history.

And they are also being used in other cancers such as lung and kidney.

What do experts think?

Prof Charles Swanton, chief clinician at Cancer Research UK, said the progress in melanoma had been "incredibly fast".

He said: "I'm inspired seeing the advancements being made in the development of immunotherapies, and their potential to transform the outlook for some patients, giving them time with friends and family they never thought they would have.

"And now work continues to make sure more people with different types of cancer can also benefit from these innovative treatments."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49853878
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Sale of heartburn drug
suspended over cancer fears

US retailer CVS has become the latest to suspend the sale of a heartburn drug being investigated for links to cancer

It follows concern in several countries over the presence of impurities in Zantac and other ranitidine products.

Canada and France have already announced Zantac recalls. The US and the European Union are investigating.

Health authorities say there is no immediate risk, but patients have been advised to consult a doctor who can prescribe alternatives to ranitidine.

What is the fear about?

On 13 September, both the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) published their decisions to review the presence of N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) in medicines containing the drug ranitidine.

NDMA is classified as a probable human carcinogen (a substance that could cause cancer) on the basis of animal studies.

NDMA is found in water and foods, including meats, dairy products, and vegetables, but is not expected to cause harm when ingested in very low levels, EMA says.

Ranitidine products are used to reduce the production of stomach acid in patients with conditions such as heartburn and stomach ulcers.

They are available over-the-counter and on prescription.

Who has recalled the products so far?

CVS's announcement on Saturday said it was suspending the sale of Zantac and CVS Health brand ranitidine products "out of an abundance of caution".

"Zantac brand products and CVS brand ranitidine products have not been recalled, and the FDA is not recommending that patients stop taking ranitidine at this time," the company said.

Walgreens, Walmart and Rite Aid in the US had earlier taken a similar decision.

Canada and France have removed the drugs from pharmacy shelves. A number of other countries have followed suit.

Drug makers are also recalling products containing NDMA.

Sandoz, owned by Novartis, told the BBC it was recalling "several batches of its ranitidine-containing medicines". The recalls were "under way or pending" in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Macedonia, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and the US.

Apotex also said it was recalling ranitidine tablets in the US.

The BBC has approached GlaxoSmithKline - original makers of Zantac. The company is reported to have stopped distributing its generic version of the drug and recalled its products from India and Hong Kong.
What should patients do?

Health regulators are urging people taking ranitidine not do discontinue it immediately.

The FDA said, however, that those taking it by prescription should contact health professionals about alternatives. And those buying it over the counter could consider other options.

French authorities also emphasised there was no "acute risk" and patients should not stop the medication or return it to pharmacies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49868852
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PostAuthor: Anthea » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:31 am

400,000 year old food find

Scientists have unearthed evidence revealing our early ancestors planned their meals ahead of time for when food was scarce

Remnants of bone marrow were discovered at Qesem Cave near Tel Aviv that are some 400,000 years old, suggesting the ancient dwellers stored and delayed consumption of food.

The findings have also determined that early Paleolithic people saved animal bones for up to nine weeks before feasting on them.

Remnants of bone marrow were discovered at Qesem Cave near Tel Aviv that are some 400,000 years old, suggesting the ancient dwellers stored and delayed consumption of food

The study into the ancient bone marrow was led by Dr. Ruth Blasco of TAU's Department of Archaeology and Ancient Near Eastern Civilizations and Centro Nacional de Investigación Sobre la Evolución Humana (CENIEH).

Along with her TAU colleagues professors Ran Barkai and Avi Gopher.

'Bone marrow constitutes a significant source of nutrition and as such was long featured in the prehistoric diet,' explained Barkai.

'Until now, evidence has pointed to immediate consumption of marrow following the procurement and removal of soft tissues. In our paper, we present evidence of storage and delayed consumption of bone marrow at Qesem Cave.'

'This is the earliest evidence of such behavior and offers insight into the socioeconomics of the humans who lived at Qesem.

The team found deer leg bones, specifically the metapodials, with chopping marks on the, 'which are not characteristic of the marks left from stripping fresh skin to fracture the bone and extract the marrow'

'It also marks a threshold for new modes of Paleolithic human adaptation.'

The researchers continued to explain that these early humans enjoyed feasting on fallow deer.

After stripping the dead animal of its meat and fat, these cave dwellers brought the limbs and skull inside,which were stored away for later.

The team found deer leg bones, specifically the metapodials, with chopping marks on the, 'which are not characteristic of the marks left from stripping fresh skin to fracture the bone and extract the marrow,' the researchers explained.

It is suggested that the deer were covered in skin to keep the marrow preserved.

The researchers evaluated the preservation of bone marrow using an experimental series on deer, controlling exposure time and environmental parameters, combined with chemical analyses.

The combination of archaeological and experimental results allowed them to isolate the specific marks linked to dry skin removal and determine a low rate of marrow fat degradation of up to nine weeks of exposure.

WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE STONE AGE?

The stone age is a period in human prehistory distinguished by the original development of stone tools that covers more than 95 per cent of human technological prehistory.

It begins with the earliest known use of stone tools by hominins, ancient ancestors to humans, during the Old Stone Age - beginning around 3.3 million years ago.

Between roughly 400,000 and 200,000 years ago, the pace of innovation in stone technology began to accelerate very slightly, a period known as the Middle Stone Age.

By the beginning of this time, handaxes were made with exquisite craftsmanship. This eventually gave way to smaller, more diverse toolkits, with an emphasis on flake tools rather than larger core tools.

The stone age is a period in human prehistory distinguished by the original development of stone tools that covers more than 95 per cent of human technological prehistory. This image shows neolithic jadeitite axes from the Museum of Toulouse

These toolkits were established by at least 285,000 years in some parts of Africa, and by 250,000 to 200,000 years in Europe and parts of western Asia. These toolkits last until at least 50,000 to 28,000 years ago.

During the Later Stone Age the pace of innovations rose and the level of craftsmanship increased.

Groups of Homo sapiens experimented with diverse raw materials, including bone, ivory, and antler, as well as stone.

The period, between 50,000 and 39,000 years ago, is also associated with the advent of modern human behaviour in Africa.

Different groups sought their own distinct cultural identity and adopted their own ways of making things.

Later Stone Age peoples and their technologies spread out of Africa over the next several thousand years.

'We discovered that preserving the bone along with the skin, for a period that could last for many weeks, enabled early humans to break the bone when necessary and eat the still nutritious bone marrow,' added Dr. Blasco.

'The bones were used as 'cans' that preserved the bone marrow for a long period until it was time to take off the dry skin, shatter the bone and eat the marrow,' professor Barkai.

Prior to finding the ancient bone marrow, experts believed that the that the Paleolithic people had constantly hunted and consumed their entire kill in one day -- resulting in periods of hunger.

'We show for the first time in our study that 420,000 to 200,000 years ago, prehistoric humans at Qesem Cave were sophisticated enough, intelligent enough and talented enough to know that it was possible to preserve particular bones of animals under specific conditions, and, when necessary, remove the skin, crack the bone and eat the bone marrow,' explained professor Gopher.

The team has deemed these findings as the 'earliest evidence in the world of food preservation and delayed consumption of food'.

This discovery joins other evidence of modern-day behaviors found in Qesem Cave including recycling, the regular use of fire, and cooking and roasting meat.

'We assume that all this was because elephants, previously a major source of food for humans, were no longer available, so the prehistoric humans in our region had to develop and invent new ways of living,' concluded Prof. Barkai.

'This kind of behavior allowed humans to evolve and enter into a far more sophisticated kind of socioeconomic existence.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... -time.html
Anthea
Shaswar
Shaswar
Donator
Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Food