Ads & Recent Photos
Recent Images
Random images
Welcome To Roj Bash Kurdistan 

Translating from sorani

Discuss about language(s) in English

Re: Translating from sorani

PostAuthor: Kulka » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:28 pm

ocmentos wrote:hahaha believe me it is not that exciting! hhh well I hope it would be for you... when you come to slemani you could even go to saray azadi :D

hawre gyan - its the same exciting for me (the first time), like for husband the first night with the wife after wedding day :lol:

first of all i am going to maydani azadi in suley 8) - i want to tell people there how much i love Kurdistan, i want everyone to hear and to know that.
Kulka
Shaswar
Shaswar

Highscores: 0
Arcade winning challenges: 0
Nationality: Kurd

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostAuthor: ocmentos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:52 pm

i wrote first KURDIN and forgot to replace it with mezin, it should be mezin instead of mazin all the way, i was confused with my accent were we say it thick as mazin. in standard writing its mezin. mezin means old or great in kurmanci. but right many in north use not the world "kurd" to refer them selfe, but just uses "kurmanc", also to refer southern kurds, "kurmancên bashurê".

hmm well here we never identify ourselves as kirmanj or soran,, just as kurdi iraq, turkey ... bellam when we refer to our language or to distinguish kurds by their language, we use kirmanj or badinan for you guys, and sorani for us.. never do we use kirmanj for ourselves, it is only recently that it is written as kurmanji xwaru (southern kirmanj) for sorani,,

-î (the) is used for masculin, -ê (the) for plural and feminin

we learned that et and en is for plural :?

yes there are some similarities with sorani, but I think duhok and the standard are more close to sorani. example most kurmanji speakers say: chawaní bashí? in sorani: choní bashí? but in west-kurmanji dialects you say:
chirgí/chingí/chitoní? (how are you?) chir dikí(what are you doing?) ratí/rindí (are you find?)

** yes i know ofcourse duhoki accent is very easy for us to understand... however i heard, not sure though, that once like under ottoman empire, the accent from turkey used to be much closer than the duhoki...

you know it would have been funny if I actually understood anything... I guess I should try and learn kirmanji a little

but there are a dialect called shéxbiziní, who are between west kurmancí and southern dialects, like a mising link. they use not "LE" but "JE" like kurmanji but speak like sorani in many ways. like a missing link :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3nlI1Sz1-E&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1   

yes i have heard of them, if kurdish is ever to be standarized, there is a good start..
where do you learn kurdish at school?

* you do know that seriously EVERYTHING is kurdish here, actually this is a big problem we are facing, they have kurdified evrything and everyone that now there are only a handful of this new generation that speaks anything but kurdish.

ocmentos
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: kurd-sthanam » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:34 pm

-î (the) is used for masculin, -ê (the) for plural and feminin

we learned that et and en is for plural :?

plural izafe is in standard -ên, but this is not always the same everywere. We use just "-i" (not î). like: Kurdên ewropayê - kurdi ewropê. But others use -êt, êd, ê, -i, and if i'm not wrong "-anê" in western regions and west of kurdistan.

we use -i, but it shifts to -ê:
kurk-i me - our children
kurk-ê shekir dixazine - the children wants sweet
lawk-ê min - my son
lawk-î dixaze - the boy wants
lawk-ê minî dixwaze - my son wants
kechk-a minê dixwaze - my doughter wants

you know it would have been funny if I actually understood anything... I guess I should try and learn kirmanji a little

no its not you, other kurmanci speakers also dont understand we speak very corrupt :D we are converting allmost all B in the middle or end of word to W, and we use ti- for verbs not di- or de- :D, like: ez dibim - ez tiwim, tu dibî-tu tiwî, ez dibîzim - ez tiwîzim (t pronounced as t in tarî), but the Di-Ti are only in my own accent from the second video.

where is you school, in KRG?
kurd-sthanam
Ashna
Ashna

PostAuthor: ocmentos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:41 pm

plural izafe is in standard -ên, but this is not always the same everywere. We use just "-i" (not î). like: Kurdên ewropayê - kurdi ewropê. But others use -êt, êd, ê, -i, and if i'm not wrong "-anê" in western regions and west of kurdistan.

we use -i, but it shifts to -ê:
kurk-i me - our children
kurk-ê shekir dixazine - the children wants sweet
lawk-ê min - my son
lawk-î dixaze - the boy wants
lawk-ê minî dixwaze - my son wants
kechk-a minê dixwaze - my doughter wants

wow that's difficult and confusing :shock:
so let me see, a subject if followed by a verb or abjective aways has to get í for masc. é for fem...... and please don't say izafe it is an arabic word with a horrible accent, in kurdish it's amrazí xistneser, so if the subject is followed by an amraz and a word, the í-é go after the other word.. subject + (í-é), no matter if the subject is a phrase or one word there has to be a í-é after it if followed by a verb or adjective (lawk)í dixwaze, (lawké min)í dixwaze..... i hope i got it right? :?
no its not you, other kurmanci speakers also dont understand we speak very corrupt :D we are converting allmost all B in the middle or end of word to W, and we use ti- for verbs not di- or de- :D, like: ez dibim - ez tiwim, tu dibî-tu tiwî, ez dibîzim - ez tiwîzim (t pronounced as t in tarî), but the Di-Ti are only in my own accent from the second video.

hmm well you see that's something that we can see in sorani too. sebz in farsi is green we say sewz, ab (water) aw.. aber to hewir.... we turn (de) to ( e).. see i say there is a connection between the two :?
where is you school, in KRG?
yep Slemani, Iraq

ocmentos
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: ocmentos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Kulka wrote:
ocmentos wrote:hahaha believe me it is not that exciting! hhh well I hope it would be for you... when you come to slemani you could even go to saray azadi :D

hawre gyan - its the same exciting for me (the first time), like for husband the first night with the wife after wedding day :lol:

first of all i am going to maydani azadi in suley 8) - i want to tell people there how much i love Kurdistan, i want everyone to hear and to know that.

hahah walla that would be really cool if you did... they accept anyone to give a speech but will you go up to all this people? watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C2ZtyfOGW4&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1   

ocmentos
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Kulka » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:22 pm

For me - the more kurdish people are around me, the more safe i feel. Safe, good and happy.
i will do that, i am not scared, even if someone will kill me when i will be back to Hewler - thats it. But if it will happened just please mention my name on maydani azadi after that, dont forget Kulka, who loved Kurdistan more than life.
i hope you will be there and you will see me. i already have appointment with three my brothers (from facebook) from Suley + invitation for kebeb :D - if you would like to join us give me the contact to you on PM.
and by the way, my dear brother - Slemanyi is in Kurdistan, not in iraq - today i called mobile network service for activate roaming, i told them i am going to Kurdistan - i couldnt say i am going to iraq (coz i am not going to iraq in fact), they asked - where it is? i told them them - in Middle East. then i told them - you may not have Kurdistan in your system, coz its not indeopendent COUNTRY yet, its within iraqi border ( :( - unfortunatly, but what can we do) - but Kurdistan is Kurdistan - tawaw.
Kulka
Shaswar
Shaswar

PostAuthor: ocmentos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Kulka wrote:For me - the more kurdish people are around me, the more safe i feel. Safe, good and happy.
i will do that, i am not scared, even if someone will kill me when i will be back to Hewler - thats it. But if it will happened just please mention my name on maydani azadi after that, dont forget Kulka, who loved Kurdistan more than life.
i hope you will be there and you will see me. i already have appointment with three my brothers (from facebook) from Suley + invitation for kebeb :D - if you would like to join us give me the contact to you on PM.
and by the way, my dear brother - Slemanyi is in Kurdistan, not in iraq - today i called mobile network service for activate roaming, i told them i am going to Kurdistan - i couldnt say i am going to iraq (coz i am not going to iraq in fact), they asked - where it is? i told them them - in Middle East. then i told them - you may not have Kurdistan in your system, coz its not indeopendent COUNTRY yet, its within iraqi border ( :( - unfortunatly, but what can we do) - but Kurdistan is Kurdistan - tawaw.

why would get killed???? I don get it??? please explain!? :? we dont have terrorism you know...

ocmentos
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Kulka » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:27 pm

ocmentos wrote:
Kulka wrote:For me - the more kurdish people are around me, the more safe i feel. Safe, good and happy.

why would get killed???? I don get it??? please explain!? :? we dont have terrorism you know...

really? so Sardasht Osman died in a car accident? speaking on maydany azadi is dangerous itself - i might be consider as national enemy by someone, even if i am not going to say one single world about politics. anyway - doesnt matter.

the problem is the airplain - it has to land saftly, otherwise i will die before i will see Kurdistan - in airplain crash. My boss who is Shaqlawa Kurd for the last few days keeps telling that he has a feeling that my airplain will fall down. Just about one hour ago he called me and said - Kurda (he calles me like that) you better go by camel, coz i have very strong feeling that the airplain will crash.
to be honest i have that feeling as well. but if i will not go to the airport and will not see Kurdistan, i will be like dead - so no difference.
Kulka
Shaswar
Shaswar

PostAuthor: ocmentos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:57 pm

really? so Sardasht Osman died in a car accident? speaking on maydany azadi is dangerous itself - i might be consider as national enemy by someone, even if i am not going to say one single world about politics. anyway - doesnt matter.

the problem is the airplain - it has to land saftly, otherwise i will die before i will see Kurdistan - in airplain crash. My boss who is Shaqlawa Kurd for the last few days keeps telling that he has a feeling that my airplain will fall down. Just about one hour ago he called me and said - Kurda (he calles me like that) you better go by camel, coz i have very strong feeling that the airplain will crash.
to be honest i have that feeling as well. but if i will not go to the airport and will not see Kurdistan, i will be like dead - so no difference.

hhhhh dont worry if you have a europian passport, australian american these kind... they won't dare touch you... anyways your right it might not be good to talk about politics in hewler and duhok, or even religion -these two cities are freakishly religious but with slemani I can tell you you won't have to worry, people are always willing how others view the topic ;)

ocmentos
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Kulka » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:06 am

i was waiting for your post to reply you and i am going to bed.
yes, i know about Suley - my brothers from work told me that whatever i say in suley nothing will happen to me, if i stay there - but the problem is that from suley i will have to be back to hewler, coz my airplain back is from there. but seriosly - i am not scared, i love my people and i know nobody will hurt me. sometimes Kurds doing strange things, but Kurds are special nation and thats what i want to tell to everyone, that Kurdistan and its people are so special, that it changed my life completly and gave my life the meaning and the reason to go on. I want people to know that. and also i want to stay on the square and to help clean - i want to do that at least this one time - because what else can i do for Kurdistan? i dont have enough power, possibilities, anything, so at least i will clean.

if the airplain will not fall down - after 96 hours i will be in Kurdistan (it might be delay) - or even less than that, yeah, i think three hours less if i am traveling to east, right?
anyway only about 90 hours - can you imagine that... because i cant....

good night to everyone - i love you all, my sunshines.
Kulka
Shaswar
Shaswar

PostAuthor: ocmentos » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Kulka wrote:i was waiting for your post to reply you and i am going to bed.
yes, i know about Suley - my brothers from work told me that whatever i say in suley nothing will happen to me, if i stay there - but the problem is that from suley i will have to be back to hewler, coz my airplain back is from there. but seriosly - i am not scared, i love my people and i know nobody will hurt me. sometimes Kurds doing strange things, but Kurds are special nation and thats what i want to tell to everyone, that Kurdistan and its people are so special, that it changed my life completly and gave my life the meaning and the reason to go on. I want people to know that. and also i want to stay on the square and to help clean - i want to do that at least this one time - because what else can i do for Kurdistan? i dont have enough power, possibilities, anything, so at least i will clean.

if the airplain will not fall down - after 96 hours i will be in Kurdistan (it might be delay) - or even less than that, yeah, i think three hours less if i am traveling to east, right?
anyway only about 90 hours - can you imagine that... because i cant....

good night to everyone - i love you all, my sunshines.

your support has enough effect ;) I hope kurdistan won't dissapoint ya... have fun :P

ocmentos
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: Kulka » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:16 pm

less than 80 hours....
i dont know what to do with myself...
Kulka
Shaswar
Shaswar

PostAuthor: kurd-sthanam » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:50 am

wow that's difficult and confusing :shock:
so let me see, a subject if followed by a verb or abjective aways has to get í for masc. é for fem...... and please don't say izafe it is an arabic word with a horrible accent, in kurdish it's amrazí xistneser, so if the subject is followed by an amraz and a word, the í-é go after the other word.. subject + (í-é), no matter if the subject is a phrase or one word there has to be a í-é after it if followed by a verb or adjective (lawk)í dixwaze, (lawké min)í dixwaze..... i hope i got it right? :?

yes î/ê comes after the whole subject. but this is not in all tenses/cases. we use different tenses than standard kurmancî:
I go - Ez diherim/dichim (in realy we pronounce it as Az tarim, we speak almost never with "alef/hamza"-press on A, both H sounds and A sound are pronounced same)
I am going - Ezî/ê diherime (Azî/e tarima) - this tense is not in standard kurmanji, you just say "I go"
I will go - Ezê herim (standard) - Ezê/a herim (Aze/o arim)
I am going to go - Ezî/ê herime (Azî/e arima) (I dont know if i have writen correct in english. this also dont exist in standard kurmancî)

how will you make these sentences in soranî?

we use both î/ê "amrazi" for masculine and both ê/a for feminine, depending on grammar. maybe soranî has lost genders because they used close sounds î/ê instead of ê/a.

hmm well you see that's something that we can see in sorani too. sebz in farsi is green we say sewz, ab (water) aw.. aber to hewir.... we turn (de) to ( e).. see i say there is a connection between the two :?

yes but we have still the kurdish v, its only b that converts to w. we say just like in general kurmancî: av (water) hevîr (hewir) :).
kurd-sthanam
Ashna
Ashna

PostAuthor: ocmentos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 pm

well first of Newrozit lé píroz ú le hemú gelí kurd, le her cwar parcey kurdistan!! :)
yes î/ê comes after the whole subject. but this is not in all tenses/cases. we use different tenses than standard kurmancî:
I go - Ez diherim/dichim (in realy we pronounce it as Az tarim, we speak almost never with "alef/hamza"-press on A, both H sounds and A sound are pronounced same)
I am going - Ezî/ê diherime (Azî/e tarima) - this tense is not in standard kurmanji, you just say "I go"
I will go - Ezê herim (standard) - Ezê/a herim (Aze/o arim)
I am going to go - Ezî/ê herime (Azî/e arima) (I dont know if i have writen correct in english. this also dont exist in standard kurmancî)

how will you make these sentences in soranî?

i guess you have much more tenses than any Kurdish dialect :shock:
in sorani all of this is "Min derom/dechim" hehe
we use both î/ê "amrazi" for masculine and both ê/a for feminine, depending on grammar. maybe soranî has lost genders because they used close sounds î/ê instead of ê/a.

well i don't know abou that, but sorani is very much influenced by Persian grammar, really similar- in persian no gender is distinguished... I think this changed in farsi if i am not wrong during middle persian before the islamic influence on the language. that was a long time ago,and here a little sorani hostory- sorani before the 18th century was a dialect spoken by only a couple of tribes.. very low population ,( Hewrami was the language of the educated not sorani) however the area of slemani belonged to neither the ottoman nor the Iranian.. It was an undecided place wether to be part of ottoman or Iranian. well while this region's status was undecided, a tribe the "baban" they had established thier capital in a town near what today is slemani.... but then decided to found a city nearby--Slemani. They brought the best workers for sewers, streets, buildings, the great mosque.. and they brought the most educated people especially mullas...(this is all happening because the ottoman and Iranian aren't paying attention much to this area between them), from 1650's this principality survives until the 2 empires decided that it will be part of the ottoman empire... thus the principality is crushed in 1850. but these 2 centuries of this city meant from foundation to be the fountain of sorani culture has everlasting effects. the sorani dialect becomes the language of education for kurds all cities and towns around slemani, thanks to the great poets that came from this time Nali, salm, kurdi, mahwi, piremerd.... so when Iraq was formed, the slemani accent of kurdish became the second official language to this day. Thus we today have a very standardized language, between cities the accent doesn't change so much, also from the start of the last century (because sorani has never been banned anytime) sorani became very standard and the kurdification process of writing started where arabic words were thrown out replaced with kurdish or kurdified ones.

hhh well you might think why I gave you this half a page lecture... I think all kurds should be aware of each other's history... it is crucial to form a kurdish society which is aware of its history :P
please enlighten me if there is any such history behind your city... or anything you think i should know ;))

ocmentos
Shermin
Shermin

PostAuthor: kurd-sthanam » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:00 pm

thanks for the good infos. i have no city, i'm from central anatolia near turkeys capital ankara. kurds migrated/forced to migrate to central anatolia by all years between 150-400 years ago. the first migrators were shexbizinî kurds 400 years ago, then the kurds from west kurdistan. (my tribe came 200-250 years ago, dont sure) some anatolian olders claim they came from khorasan. the main big tribe is Reshwan, Reshiyan. some claim its the biggest kurdish tribe, they are very spread in north kurdistan, lebanon, central anatolia, khorasan. At time the Ottomans would to force kurds from samsur(adiyaman), their number were big as istanbuls population that time, but from a reason i dont know they were spread. today this city, samsur, is a dead kurdish city. just west to Amed province, but nothing kurdishness.
kurd-sthanam
Ashna
Ashna

PreviousNext

Return to Language